Washington, Pa. - Wittenberg field hockey opened the 2017 season with a 2-1 road win over the Presidents of Washington & Jefferson College on Friday night. The Tigers started the scoring in the 16th minute of action, when Netherlands native Channa Visseren found the back of the net for her first time on an assist from Brighid Kortyna. Wittenberg found their offense clicking on all cylinders early on, netting both goals in the first half.
- Isabella Wagner would slip the Tigers second goal past the W&J defense at the 20:31 mark, giving the Tigers the lead for good.
- Wittenberg allowed Washington & Jefferson to score their first and only goal in the 51st minute of the second half, before holding on to a one goal lead for the remainder of the contest.
- Allie Purvis locked down the net for the Tigers, earning her first win of the season, facing 12 W&J shots.
- Maddie Goelz along with Wagner would lead the Wittenberg offensive charge, taking two shots each.
- As a team, Wittenberg's offense produced seven shots with four coming on net.
- Wittenberg continues their road trip with a 1:30PM matchup against Lynchburg University on Sunday, September 3.