Springfield, Ohio – The Wittenberg field hockey team returned home to Edwards-Maurer Field with a 3-1 win over the Lynx of Rhodes College on Saturday afternoon. The Tigers quickly stifled the Lynx early lead, as Veerle Van der Plas scored her first of two goals on the afternoon and the first goal of her Tiger career. Blaine Donnelly found her fourth assist of the season connecting with Van der Plas for the Tigers first goal. Van der Plas slotted the Tigers final goal right out the intermission, giving Wittenberg their final lead at the 39-minute mark.
- Megan Niswonger was able to follow up on a shot deflected by the Rhodes goalie, scoring her second goal of the season and giving the Tigers a 2-1 lead just before the break.
- The Tigers defense held the Lynx scoreless for over 60 minutes of action, conceding the first goal at the seven-minute mark.
- Allie Purvis was only forced to make three saves in all 70 minutes in goal.
- Wittenberg led the shot total on the day, taking 12 shots to the Lynx nine.
- The Tigers doubled the Lynx shots on goal mark, taking eight on frame attempts to Rhodes four.
FROM THE BENCH
- "Great to see our seniors lead us in today's game, and impressed with the impact of our underclassmen as well. Excited to focus on how we can grow, compete and continue to play together from here," Head Coach Kelley Hubbell said.
- The Tigers will return to action Saturday, September 16 when they host Wooster at 12:00 PM in a NCAC contest.