Apr 14, 2018
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Trailing 10-9 going into the final quarter of play, Wittenberg came back to defeat the Fighting Scots of Wooster 12-11.
- Wooster took an 11-9 lead in the fourth, before Matthew Welch, Michael Coyle, and Noah Moderwell all scored unassisted goals for the Tigers to put the game away.
- Moderwell led the Tigers with five goals, including the eventual game-winner with 3:55 remaining in the game.
- Wittenberg's 12-11 lead was their first of the contest, as it would stand for the final 3:55.
SITE: Springfield, Ohio (Wittenberg University)
SCORE: Wittenberg 12, Wooster 11
RECORDS: WIT 5-8 (3-4), WOO 8-6 (4-3)
NEXT GAME: Tuesday, April 17—vs Wabash (Springfield, Ohio 4:00 PM)
- Wooster took an early lead of 5-1 in the second quarter, before Wittenberg scored four unanswered goals to knot things up at 5-5 at halftime.
- Cam Kennedy and Lucas Klever scored the final two goals of the second quarter, knotting the game up in Springfield.
- Wooster scored three unanswered goals to take an 8-6 lead in the third, before Moderwell and Coyle both sored to cut the Fighting Scot lead to 9-8.
- Down two goals in the fourth, Welch picked up a groundball on a loose ball in the crease, netting the Tiger's 10th goal of the day from in close.
- Coyle drove to the net on an uncontested possession with 6:06 remaining, tying the game at 11-11.
- Moderwell put the finishing touches on the Senior Day win, as the sophomore found just enough room to get a shot off from a tough angle, beating Wooster's goalie high for Saturday's game-winner.
- Moderwell led the Tigers with five goals, while Coyle picked up two assists.
- Hale Condon and Anthony LeBarge III each picked up eight ground balls to lead the Tigers, while Wittenberg edged Wooster 33-31 in the category as a team.
- Grant Snodgrass was dominant at the center dot on Saturday, winning 20 of 27 face-offs for Wittenberg.
- Colin Cahill came in off the bench for the Tigers and stepped up big in net, recording eight saves in 24 minutes of work while earning the win.