DANVILLE, Kentucky—Both track and field programs showed well at the Centre College Invitational over the weekend, as both sides competed in very deep fields. The men's side was highlighted by multiple first place finishes and a performance that put one Tiger in the top ten nationally. Out of 18 teams at the meet, Wittenberg claimed 62 points and a fourth place finish on the men's side, while the women's program collected 50 overall points, good enough for a sixth place finish out of 19 total teams in attendance.
MEN'S TOP 6'S
- Laike Wallace (Washington Courthouse, Ohio/Washington) continued his impressive 2016, as the senior took home a first place finish in the 400 meter-hurdles at 54.61 seconds, as well as a second place finish in the 100 meter-hurdles at 15.19 seconds.
- Senior Justin Fisher (Fort Wayne, Indiana/Carroll) also kept up his fast start to the new year with a first place finish in the triple-jump, clearing 14.14 meters in the finals.
- In the discus, Eric Cospey (Trotwood, Ohio/Madison) finished in second place for the Tigers, while his finals throw of 46.95 meters ranks the freshman tenth nationally in the event.
- The long jump was also highlighted by a Tiger performance, as Aaron Melsop (Westerville, Ohio/DeSales) cleared 6.72 meters in the finals, good enough for second place honors.
- The relay team of Joshua Graham (Beacon, New York/Poughkeepsie), Melsop, Fisher and Matt Entsminger (Bellfontaine, Ohio/Bellfontaine) showed well in the 4x100 meter-relay, taking home fourth place at 43.40 seconds.
- From the field, throwers Dan Mason (Springfield, Ohio/Greenon) and D'Anthony Dorsey (Winter Haven, Florida/Lakeland) took home fifth place finishes for Wittenberg, Mason in the hammer throw at 44.11 meters, and Dorsey in the shot put at 13.00 meters.
- Curtis Quimby (Plain City, Ohio/Fairbanks) rounded out the Tigers day with a sixth place finish in the shot put at 12.89 meters.
WOMEN'S TOP 6'S
- The Tiger relay team of Tiarra Avant (Deleware, Ohio/Hayes) Alaina Longshore (Columbus, Ohio/Franklin Heights), Brea Medlock (Galena, Ohio/Big Walnut) and Samantha Mitchell (Solon, Ohio/Solon) took home first place in the 4x100 meter-relay, with a finals time of 49.33 seconds.
- Individually, Medlock finished second in the 400 meter-dash at 57.85 seconds, which not only ranks her in the top 25 in the country, but also breaks her Wittenberg school record in the event.
- In the triple jump, Becah Delp (York, Pennsylvania/Eastern York) recorded a finals distance of 11.07 meters which earned the senior second place honors.
- The Tiger relay team of Longshore, Medlock, Avant and Mitchell finished second in the 4X400 meter-relay, at 4:02.2 in the finals.
- Rounding out her impressive day was Crow in the 100 meter-hurdles, whose finals time of 15.56 seconds was good enough to take home third place on Saturday.
- In the long jump, Delp cleared 5.32 meters for Wittenberg, scoring a fourth place finish and rounding out the Tigers day.
- Wittenberg returns to action April 9 at the Muskingum All-Ohio Multi, and also play host to the Coach Rob Invitational the same day.
Written By: Kuris Duggan