Lexington, Ky. – The Wittenberg women's lacrosse team picked up their first win of the season, taking down the Pioneers of Transylvania University 15-11 on the road. The Tiger's finished with six different goal scorers, including four Tiger's with hat-tricks on the night. Storming back from an early 7-1 deficit in the first half, the Wittenberg offense came alive to take a 9-8 lead before the break. This is the first win for the Tigers in 2018 and the first win under new head coach Margaret Wolford.
- Bre Donnelly got the Tigers on the board on the Shannon Brown assist to start the Wittenberg offense.
- The third goal of the 13th minute and the first of three by Emily Wadds cut the Transylvania lead to 7-4.
- Bernard converted on the free position shot, just a minute before Gabby Zysik would go on to tally the first goal in her first-half hat-trick.
- Gabby Zysik would score the first of her back-to-back goals on an assist from her sister Victoria. A minute later, Cassie Kenned found Zysik on the man-up play to help Wittenberg cut into the 8-7 Transy advantage.
- Wadds knotted things up at 8-8, coming off the Donnelly assist with just under five minutes to go in the half.
- Donnelly picked up her second goal of the game on another assist from Brown two minutes into the second half, giving Wittenberg the 10-9 advantage.
- Eight minutes later it was Bernard's turn, capitalizing on the free posting attempt, pushing the Tiger lead to 11-9.
- Brown found Donnelly one more time, giving Donnelly her third goal of the evening.
- Donelly extended the Wittenberg lead by assisting Wadds on her third goal of the night.
- Brown picked up her fourth assist of the night by finding Faith Meads for the Tiger's 14th goal.
- Victoria Zysik tallied the final goal for Wittenberg.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mary Alyce Furlong made 11 save against 22 shots on the night in a full 60 minute in the net.
- Wittenberg picked up 26 groundballs, converting on 15 of 27 clear attempts.
- The Tiger's won the draw controls 17-10, forcing 20 Transylvania turnovers on the night.
- Wittenberg will return to action on Saturday, March 3 when they host John Carroll at 1:00 PM.