Tigers Fall In Back And Forth Battle Against Otterbein

Tigers Fall In Back And Forth Battle Against Otterbein

Springfield, OH– In a tough back-and-forth game, the Wittenberg Tigers fell to the visiting Otterbein Cardinals, 12-10. The intensity of the game was evenly matched by both the Tigers and the Cardinals as they traded turns holding the lead throughout all four quarters. Despite the hard-fought battle, the Tigers now move to 1-5 overall, with conference action opening up next week. 

Game Breakdown

Cam Kennedy opened up the scoring for the Tigers with a quick and hard shot, not giving Otterbein's goalie a chance to react. Despite the quick opening, the Tigers gave up the lead with two Otterbein goals. The Tigers didn't let the change in lead scare them with Michael Carluccio and Noah Moderwell scoring a goal apiece to give the Tigers the lead again. Cooper Harris added the Tigers' fourth goal with a minute remaining in the first quarter to give the Tigers a 4-3 lead at the end of the quarter.

In the second, the Tigers continued their scoring dominance with Jerry Coyle tallying two goals. Otterbein quickly added a goal of their own after Coyle's second, putting the score in Wittenberg's favor at 6-4. With less than a minute left in the half, the Cardinals tallied two quick goals and tied up the game. 

At the half, the Tigers had put up 15 shots, nine of which were on goal. Max Cavellier had one save, standing strong in the goal. Wittenberg boasted six successful clears and the Tigers picked up 13 groundballs. 

Otterbein scored the first goal of the third quarter before Coyle added his third goal of the game, assisted by Moderwell. Tied at 7-7, Otterbein quickly broke the tie and regained the lead. Wittenberg and Otterbein passed the lead around throughout the rest of the third quarter with a Wittenberg goal by Matthew Welch and two Otterbein goals. At the end of the third, the Cardinals held a 10-8 lead over the Tigers.

Trailing 10-8, the Tigers worked hard to get up on the scoreboard in the fourth quarter. With 10 minutes left in the game, Lucas Klever scored an unassisted Tiger goal to put the Tigers within one of the Cardinals. Five minutes later, Coyle tallied yet another goal coming off the assist from Ellis, tying the game it at 10-10. Less than a minute later, the Cardinals scored again, regaining the lead. The Cardinals sealed the win with their twelfth goal with less than 30 seconds remaining in the game, leaving the Tigers with a 12-10 loss.

Who Stood Out

Coyle recorded a hattrick for the Tigers, scoring two goals in the second quarter and a third in the third quarter. Klever followed Coyle in scoring with two goals of his own. Tony Lebarge picked up seven groundballs while Moderwell and Kennedy boasted two assists each. Cavellier stood strong in net, making five saves off of 35 faced shots. 

Up Next 

The Tigers will travel to Ohio Northern on Tuesday, March 19th for an away game before a two-game home stretch. Faceoff against the Polar Bears is scheduled for a 7 p.m. in Ada, OH. NCAC action opens up for Wittenberg on Saturday, March 23rd with a home game against Oberlin at 12:00 PM.