Stang's Goal Stuns No. 25 Denison

Stang's Goal Stuns No. 25 Denison

Granville, Ohio – The Wittenberg women's soccer team took on the nationally-ranked Big Red of Denison University in the opening round of the North Coast Athletic Conference Tournament on Wednesday evening. Wittenberg battled back to overcome an early 1-0 Denson advantage, taking the semifinal victory 2-1 on the damp Halloween night.  The Tigers earned their seventh consecutive NCAC Tournament bid in the final weeks of the regular season, beating out Ohio Wesleyan for the fourth and final spot. It was a cold and soggy game, as the two sides battled the inclement weather which forced the semifinal game to be moved from the grass field at Barclay-Thomsen Field to the turf at Deeds Field.

Game Breakdown

The Big Red were the first strike, recording the opening goal 26 minutes into the first half of action. The Wittenberg defense showed their resilience, keeping the Big Red off the board through the remainder of the first half. Kelly Corbin faced 15 shots per regulation period, as the junior keeper tallied six saves per half for the red and white. The Tigers got on the board with just under 20 minutes remaining in the game, as Sydney Artis found Emily Wile on the Wittenberg corner kick to bring the game back to even at 1-1 in the 70th minute of action. As the final moments of regulation would tick away without a winning goal making its way into the back of the net. The Tigers came out on the attack in the first overtime period, capitalizing on the loose ball in front of the Denison net. Carly Stang put the go-ahead Tiger goal in the back of the Denison net in the 94th minute of the game, sending the red and white on to the next round of the NCAC Tournament.


Wittenberg will travel to Wooster for the NCAC Tournament Championship game on Saturday, Oct. 3 at 2:00 PM. This will be the first meeting between the Tigers and the Scots in the NCAC Tournament since 2008 when Wittenberg defeated Wooster 1-0 in Springfield in the championship game.